Penshaw Monument

Penshaw Monument

The Earl of Durham's Monument sits atop Penshaw Hill between Sunderland and Washington. Erected in 1844 it is a half-scale version of the doric Temple of Hephaestus in Athens and was designed by John and Benjamin Green.

The folly is built from local gritstone and owing to settlement caused by mining the structure had to be underpinned in 1978.

Donated to the National Trust in 1939.

Comments


Post a Comment