Cleadon Water Tower

Cleadon Water Tower

The strain on the water supply caused by the rapidly increasing industrial populations of Tyneside and Wearside led to an 1852 Act of Parliament to create the Sunderland & South Shields Water Company. Between 1859-62 the Company built a pumping station and reservoir on Cleadon Hills including this Italianate brick tower.

Drawn on Boxing Day.

Comments


Post a Comment